Thursday, March 19, 2009

Day One Complete!

Pretty good first day. Usually Wednesdays are a bit slow trying to get into the groove of the festival and this year’s was no exception. I made a schedule to try to see all the bands I wanted to see but unfortunately, different factors such as really long lines had me changed my mind.


So I get downtown around 12:15 because the traffic is insane at noon. There was a line of cars from Cesar Chavez and East of I-35 which expanded up to Cesar Chavez and Chicon Street. I couldn’t see past that but I wouldn’t doubt the line of cars kept going.


Anyway, my first stop of the day was Maggie Mae’s to see The Boxing Lesson. The bar had three stages set up, one downstairs, one you see immediately when you climb up the stairs, and then a smaller one in a room next to the upstairs stair. That’s where The Boxing Lesson played.


The Boxing Lesson at Maggie Mae's


The Boxing Lesson played a couple of their signature songs but also premiered a new one which strayed away from the usual psychedelic drone that they usually performed. Instead the new song showed a bit of their dance pop side which got the whole crowd was moving. I got to interview the band afterward and we talked about the song which turned out to have a light positive message directed towards their drummer Jake Mitchell and his wife who are currently serving time.


Up next, I walked to Creekside Lounge to see The Midgetmen. Unfortunately, I put in the wrong time they played in my calendar because when I walked in, they were playing their last song.


DSC_0025


But the good news is that I stuck around and caught the next band Ezra Furman and the Harpoons.


DSC_0034


How can I describe this band? Hmm. Well they’re definitely folksy indie rock with very light hearted lyrics. My favorite song was “Take Off Your Sunglasses”


I ran into former editor of The Accent, Kevin Stutz at the show and he recommended I attend Young Love at Peckerhead’s. I wasn’t a fan of the next band at Creekside Lounge so I took his suggestion and left.


It was perfect timing though because I thought for sure the show would be crowded, but when I walked in, the entire crowd was in the other room watching the band before playing while Young Love set up. So needless to say, I had a great view.


Young Love at Peckerhead's


The show was a bit short but he played his hit (which is one of my favorite songs) “Discotech” and some other songs from his previous album and played some newer songs from this new album “One of Us” which comes out April 28th, 2009.


The sound was a bit rough because it was hard to hear the vocals but the show was great nevertheless. Vocalist Dan Keyes really knows how to work the crowd. The show felt very intimate as he jumped off the stage and sang in the crowd. Girls swooned as he gave each one of them (including me!) eye contact like he wrote those lyrics for them. Ha. It was a good time.


Young Love at Peckerhead's


After a much needed break at one of the coffee shops near by, I then walked to Plush to see Bankrupt and the Borrowers. This was another intimate show because Plush doesn’t have a stage so the band is on the ground with the crowd. I don’t know what time the bands and the fans started drinking but the energy in that place was unbelievable.


The band was recently in Austin Monthly as one of the "9 bands to watch in ’09" and as my second time seeing them, I can see why. It’s refreshing to hear music that isn’t generic or stereotypical of what is currently on the radio. I can’t even describe it, you just have to see a show for yourself.


Bankrupt and the Borrowers at Plush


The Murdocks played at One 2 One bar for the Health Alliance for Austin Musicians. Donations were requested at the door but wasn’t mandatory to get in. Of course, I donated money to the cause. Anyway, The Murdocks played some songs from the “Roar” which I reviewed for The Accent last year. After the show, the band handed out free samplers of music from the new album which will be released in the future.


The Murdocks at One 2 One Bar


As soon as I walked out of the bar to head over to Spiro’s, I ran into The States from New York. I met them at SXSW in 2006 and hung out with them when they returned in 2007 so this was the first time I saw them since then. They’re playing on Thursday at Annie’s West at 7:00 pm and on Saturday at Touche at 10:00 p.m.


We caught up as we walked downtown to our next destinations and then went our separate ways. I went to Spiro’s and they had a dinner meeting.


Oliver Future was playing when I walked in. I was nervous that I wouldn’t be able to get in since it was an official showcase and I have a wristband, not a badge. Luckily, there was no line when I got there so I immediately got in.


Oliver Future at Spiro's


The formally five piece band returned to Austin after recording new songs for their new album with a tentative summer release called “Out of the Wreckage.” Sadly, last night’s show was the last show they played this week before having to return home to Los Angeles but I did get a change to interview vocalist/guitarist Noah Lit to talk more about the album. (I will post that up as soon as I get a moment to transcribe it.)


Now as a three piece, the tone of the music seems to be heading towards more of an experimental gazing sound, which compared to their previous album “Pax Futura,” is a huge change from their distinct indie pop driven tunes.


I left the rest of the night open because I wasn’t sure how the lines would be during the showcases so I walked around, walked around and walked around some more until I ended up at the Flamingo Cantina where Billboard en Espanol was having a showcase.


The place was crowded. It was really hard to get anywhere near the stage. So using my small frame, I squeezed my way though the crowd to get to the side of the stage.


Natalie Lafourrade was on stage and I really like her sound. Simply put, the music is just adorable.


Natalie Lafourrade at Flamingo Cantina


My next stop was the Hideout. It was in the back theatre so the crowd got to sit. Finally, time to rest my feet!


Austin’s own Sunset was on stage. Now I hear this name a lot and I’m sorry I don’t see the big deal. Yes, they’re great. They are talented. The songs are pretty good, but where is the big hype coming from?


Sunset at The Hideout


I liked them. Seriously, I did.


I rushed all the way to The Dirty Bar (man I never realized how fast I can walk) so I could catch Dananananaykroyd. Seriously, how awesome is that name?


When I walked in the bar and got settled in, who should I see? Joseph Gordon-Lewitt. Sorry there is no photo. He was talking to someone and I wasn’t going to be rude and take a photo without permission. But believe me, he was there.


Anyway, Dananananaykroyd are pretty cool. They’re from Scotland and just full of amazing energy and really got the crowd going. The highlight of the show for me was when the singer walked around the crowd (which he did throughout the night anyway) and gave everyone hugs. Seriously. It was a very entertaining show to say the least.


Dananananaykroyd at The Dirty Dog


Well that was my night. Day two starts soon. Man, this is gonna be a long week!




Follow theaccent on twitter

FYI about the Twitter, due to everyone having Iphones, blackberries, G1 or other data intense phones, the coverage sucks. Seriously. I noticed twitters are arriving later than when they were posted.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I saw you taking pictures of Bankrupt at Plush! That was a crazy show for sure.

    I directed a no-budget music video for those dudes. We're screening it Sunday night at Mohawk.

    ReplyDelete